What do I miss from Windows 10 Mobile-Windows Phone?
Monday, August 22, 2016 7:00 PM
Yes, I’ve jumped from Windows Phone to Android. Here is a list of things I miss.
When you move platforms, it’s inevitable you are going to miss things from the old platform. Here is my list of things I miss from the Windows Phone\Windows 10 Mobile world when I’m using my Android phone.
- I liked how the back button does include apps in the back stack
- So when you're bouncing from one app to another, web to texting to phone, you simply hit back button three times to get back to the web page
- I have widgets but taking a bit of getting used to
- I miss the "arrow keys" on the W10M keyboard to move one char at a time
- There is the ol'wp7, move the "handle" around metaphor, works well enough
- Swiping my hand over top sensor to show calendar, emails and txt msg counts
- But I'm trying out a couple of tools to help overcome this, we'll see soon
- I’m apparently supposed to be able to shake the phone to come back to life, but I can’t seem to get the hang of that one
- XAML programming
- but I haven't done any in a while, so this counts for very little :<
- Not having to press the Enter key on lock screen code entry, the enter key is assumed after 4-key code
- however this is actually replaced with the new fingerprint reader
- SD support
- BUT it was super slow, so slow, I would NOT recommend it, at least for the 550! Either get the NEXT fastest SD you can afford to save for (ie don't get fastest you can afford now, get faster so you're not complaining IF you find it slow)
- Blocking phone numbers ACTUALLY blocks them
- I get one ring on my android phone for blocked numbers, and they can still leave me a vmail
- If I say a number is blocked, I expect to NEVER hear from them again!
Short list eh? Yeah, I thought so too. And if I’m honest, there is really only the back button issue that is the only REAL thing I miss from Windows Phone. Again, short list. Microsoft, you reading this? I actually thought there were going to be A HUUUUUUUGE number of things I was going to miss. Unfortunately….well, now that I’m using another phone, fortunately there isn’t a lot of things I miss. That’s actually GREAT news for the android platform…NOT so good for Microsoft and the Windows Phone\Windows 10 Mobile.
Now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, it’s time to grab a coffee and get coding!
1 comment(s) so far...
By Peter Henry on
Monday, August 22, 2016 8:48 PM
Re: What do I miss from Windows 10 Mobile-Windows Phone?
I forgot to mention, ONE other things I miss is the Offline maps. The ability to save an entire province offline, or state would be useful. Google lets you save portions of maps offline, but only for a specific amount of time before you need to refresh them. Interesting idea, but not working for me. I prefer to have the maps always with me so I don't have to use carrier data (ie pay money).