|All blog entries are the opinions of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of their employer. All the code presented is for explanation and demonstration purposes only. Any damages incurred to your site and/or data are not the responsibility of the author. Every effort is taken to ensure the code properly compiles, however sometimes there are some hiccups and you might be required to do your own debugging.
What do I DISLIKE about Android?
Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:00 PM
After a few months of using my Android Nexus 5X, I think I’ve gotten pretty used to it. Here is a list of things I have NOT enjoyed so far.
Here is a list of things I’m NOT liking about Android\Nexus 5X.
- Things about Android, the OS
- Why can't I set a solid color as the background?
- Why do I have to create my own background image with the solid color and set that picture\photo as the background?
- Why can't there just be a simple feature in the background app to do that for me?
- I thought I was supposed to be able to shake the phone to "wake up?"
- There’s a feature settings for this, doesn’t work for me!
- Plugging in USB and ALWAYS being asked how to connect on nexus, why can't it just remember?
- At least its charging by default
- Its not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, mostly because the battery's been good for me and I don’t usually find myself charging it during the day at work
- Daydream seems pretty cool at first, but quickly becomes useless after you try to use it
- Wouldn't turn on for me
- No calendar by default
- No way to uninstall daydream apps without going to playstore to find the uninstall button (this is weird)
- The back button always goes back to the main screen and not through the back apps
- after some use, I prefer the w10m way actually
- Lock Screen
- Doesn't rotate
- Fades and disappears too quickly (~10s?)
- How can I add calendar events to the lock screen?
- are there other apps for this? the ones I tried didn’t work
- why is this not just part of the default installed calendar program?
- Forced to type the enter key on the lock screen
- I had a swipe pattern but one of my corporate programs dictates that to be turned off :<
- Just weird to be forced to type the NEVER CHANGING last character (enter), it’s not like it’s a surprise 5th password character
- Some apps have BOTH the hamburger and the ellipses, WHY have BOTH?
- And why is the hamburger sometimes on the right and sometimes on the left?
- THIS is probably the biggest UI\UX weirdness I’m seeing
- Having to always manually close apps
- Maybe it's just me, but leaving apps open when I'm not using them and thinking in the back of my mind they are updating, using CPU, bugs me
- maybe it's just a comfort level?
- Some apps will ask before quitting, cool, but then they're still in the task list as running, how's that make sense?
- If i quite, I quit, it shouldn't be left running
- Email widget sometimes says Loading… when there's no emails
- gives wrong status indication imho
- I need to rely and trust the notifications more
- The phone dialer icons are too easily confused IMHO
- I've accidentally called my partner a few times by accident already, doh!
- Blocking contacts still let them make one ring on the phone AND they can still leave a vmail
- Using keypad takes about half a second longer than I would like
- I think the sensor to go from black to display on is juuuuust a bit too slow, by about half a second
- calling vmail SHOULD just expand the keypad to immediately let me type in my password
- why do I HAVE to click the keypad button to expand it to type out the password? There’s a button to click, it knows I want vmail, just expand the keypad for the passcode
So there you have it, my list of things I dislike about my Android phone. I’ll post followups where if\when I find fixes\hacks around these things things. If you know of any, I would LOVE to hear from you! I hope you come back for more about my android experiences. Now it’s time to grab a coffee and get coding!